Before I go paging through the J2EE spec to find a defense, I want to
see if someone out there can offer advice in the following matter.  In
our application, the configuration of the servers is such that any URL
with a context of "/apps/" is captured by the webserver, the URL is
rewritten with this context stripped and the resulting URL is passed
internally to the J2EE application server.  For all intents and
purposes, the app server assumes that the URL requested was without
the "/apps/" context and processes the servlet mapping as such.
However, when the taglibs generate URLs, the "/apps/" portion is not
prepended and therefore a followup request by the client will not be
processed by the app server.  Is this in violation of the J2EE spec
for the webserver to alter the URLs in this way?

client
(requests http://hostname/apps/modulename/)
webserver
(rewrites internally to http://hostname/modulename/)