We use a custom sitemesh decorator for each targeted platform and also a
custom struts theme for each.

This way we use the same core jsp files across the application. By keeping
the JSP functionality simple we find it works really well.

I hate to be the one who breaks it to you but you'll have to do some work
arounds. For example we have a number of key navigation pages which are
quite different for each of the platforms (mobile, tablet, web) and as
such require more work. The action classes have to know the targeted
platform to setup the appropriate data objects.

As for multi-lingual development we use a database backed localised text
system. We've had no issues with it. Having said that we are about to
start on an Arabic language version, which should be a lot of fun ;). Same
principle as above applies, use the S2 localised text wherever possible
and be prepared to create some custom CSS and decorator files for
non-latin based languages.

Z.