I added two things to the 'Struttin with Struts' with website that should help shed some light on issues that seem to come up a lot...

There's a brief article I wrote dealing with the issue people run into when they lose their request scoped lists after validation returns errors.
http://www.reumann.net/struts/articles/request_lists.jsp

I also added a very small war and some brief explanation of using both the nested tag and JSTL for working with nested beans in your forms.
http://www.reumann.net/struts/nested.do

--
Rick