This is very much a YMMV type question. If your background/experience/expertise is in database then ibatis (where the sql is all clearly deliniated) is a fine choice. If you're a java person, then having a wrapper like Hibernate to shield you from the SQL may be more to your liking.
Ask yourself the question "Would I rather debug a sql problem or a java problem?" If the former, then iBatis is more likely your best answer, if the latter than Hibernate. I'm not suggesting either of the products have problems, just that when you develop a real application there will be problems and which DAO tool you use has an effect on where those problems are likely to occur/be fixed.