I am just playing around with struts-blnak.war that
comes with all dist.

The structure is like:
C:.
|---META-INF
|---pages
|---WEB-INF
|---classes
| |--resources
|---lib
|---src
|---java
|---resources
where application.properties file is in the resources
folder. Thus when you set
<message-resources parameter="resources.application"/>
the application recognizes the setting but not
<message-resources parameter="MessageResources"/>