Sounds good. I don't think you need to worry too much about the overhead of storing the user in the session though. It really shouldn't be that much for the server to handle. You are most likely already experiencing the overhead of maintaining a session (for forms with session level scope, etc.) so what's a little POJO going to hurt?

Believe me that your basic user object (name, address, etc.) is not a lot of information when it comes to what a typical server is capable of maintaining in memory. Of course if you have millions of users that might be another story.

Just remember that there is overhead associated with pulling user information out of the database (or LDAP) over and over again. The penalty for this is one of the more significant things to try to avoid when writing a web application.

Best of luck!

sean

Tom Holmes Jr. wrote:

Thanks for the information Sean, I just wanted to make sure I was heading down the right road for Struts. There is also another school of thought, and using a design pattern (I think it's a design pattern) called Lazy Loading. In some cases, I might make another trip to the database in order to get some information for a user when I get to a page. I might use sometimes rather than storing too much in a session.

But thanks for the information!

                   Tom