This may be slightly off-topic for this list, but here goes anyway:

I'm working on a Struts site which must be i18n compatible and have a login
system where some of the pages are protected. What I'm looking to accomplish
is two fold:

1. When viewing any page, including query results, be able to select a
language from the pull-down menu and get the page the same page back in the
new language.

2. When requesting a page that is protected, have the user be prompted to
authenticate and then receive the originally requested page. Or, have a
login form on each page which will return the same page with just the login
details changed.

To accomplish this, I attempted to store each HttpServletRequest in the
session and then check for a language change, or login request, in an
ancestor of each action, process that change and then serve the previous
request. However, when I take the stored request out of the session, it's
handle to the Session is now 'null.'

Has anyone had some experience attempting something like this, or am I
barking up entirely the wrong tree here?

FWIW, I've looked at JAAS and don't feel that it suits our needs. The role
handling is simply too coarse.