From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 2:23 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Calling JSP directly.

You CAN call JSPs directly, but it's not generally thought of as a good
idea.  If you need to display a JSP and don't really need any
functionality behind it, you can use a ForwardAction, which is a kind of
Action specifically designed to just forward to a JSP.  This keeps your
control layer involved.

In your case, you can do that and I'm pretty sure there's no reason you
can't add the eMail address as a query string parameter, then access it
through the request object on your JSP page.  However, I think it's
probably a better design to have an ActionForm and an Action to submit
to, forward to your JSP and access it through the form as you normally
would in Struts.  Certainly will make your life easier later if you need
to extend what's being done.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Shabada, Gnaneshwer wrote:
> Hi,
> Was wondering if calling a JSP directly a good approach in struts or
should
> I always go through Action/Action Mappings. I have a situation where I
have
> a result list displayed in a table and each row has email icon which when
> clicked should display a JSP where one can enter email text and preview
the
> email. So I thought I could directly call JSP using <html:link
> page="email.jsp">. But I also want to send the "To:" email address of from
> the row where it is clikced. Can I pass it as a request paramter when I
call
> the JSP directly or do I call an Action instead ?
> If I can call thru JSP, how do I retrieve that email value in the next
JSP??