I assume that your application has a resource.properties file which is actually being used - I mean, you know it is being loaded since you see language strings on the website from the file, right?

I am not familiar with getInternal().

Right, out of curiosity, I checked out the src code and the init for it looks like this:

/**
* The Java base name of our internal resources.
* @since Struts 1.1
*/
protected String internalName = "org.apache.struts.action.ActionResources";

So as you see, this method just gets you the struts resources file. What you will have to do is chase down the code that inits the Action class's resources, not the RequestProcessor's. Perhaps you can access it that way. If the API doesn't help, you'll have to check the source, unless one of the authors is reading this :)