You're using Tomcat 5 with Struts-EL?  You don't need to use Struts-EL
with Tomcat 5.  Doing so is wasteful (and I'm surprised it works).  The
base Struts tag library will provide exactly the same functionality
(except for perhaps the "expr" attribute on "logic:match"), without the
indirection necessary in Struts-EL.