I'm using Tomcat 5.0.28 and I find I no longer need to use the struts-el tags because JSP 2.0 supports the ${} notation anywhere in the jsp page. e.g. you can put ${2+2} it it will display 4 on the page. I now find I can do everything I need to do with the regular struts tags and jstl. This was the main reason I upgraded to Tomcat 5.X. I did find that it was a little tricky to get it working properly because you need to upgrade the schema reference in your web.xml file to:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
   xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
   version="2.4">

Check out the JSP 2.0 specification Part 1 page 63 where it describes the jsp 2.0 implementation of el.

I have found that this has really made development much easier.

Hope that helps,

Janelle Smtih

Erik Weber wrote:

I use Tomcat 5.0.27, I don't use the "isELIgnored" attribute, and I do use the struts-el tags (Struts version 1.1), and everything works fine.

Erik

David G. Friedman wrote:

Rajesh,

If you use this syntax in your Tomcat 5.X.X (I'm on 5.0.27) JSP's:
<%@ page isELIgnored="false" %>

Remember to use the standard struts tags, not the contributed struts-el
tags.

Regards,
David