Which is where the art of programming comes in :)  In such cases, keeping with
my theme, you put some logic in to figure out which specific message, and then
use it.  Optionally I might just dump several messages out, rather then one.
Starting with the most generic and working my way down.

My focus is on understandability, not necessarily ease of programming.  Given
the variety of languages, and the way they get structured, it's better to avoid
bad sentence construction, even at the risk of losing specificity.

The classic example might be "All your base are belong to us."   Sure, you can
understand it... but do you really want to become the laughing stock of the
internet?