Jack,

Would you *please* post URLs instead of full source?  I know you have
publicly-hittable space of your own ...

So far as how to acquire a DataSource/Connection goes, JNDI is a
fantastic tool for allowing your persistence layer acquire a
DataSource instance in a *standard* fashion.  Standards aren't always
"best practice" approaches, but getting DataSource instances from JNDI
is a best practice.

... although I do like the idea of caching the DataSource instance, as
mentioned earlier, in a private member of some class in your
persistence layer.

--
Eddie Bush