Have you tried examining the source? ;-)  Let's do:

If you set <html:html xhtml="true"> the code is going to set a
PageContext variable indicating XHTML should be used to true.  You can
find an identical line of code in the XhtmlTag class.  I'd say, based
off the code, that they're functionally equivalent.

For you DOCTYPE question:  I don't believe you'll find one.  You could
keep this in a XHTML.inc file - somewhere - and use the @include
directive or <jsp:include> to place it into pages where you wanted to
use it.  The @include directive does a static include (includes the
content at compile time) and <jsp:include> includes the content
dynamically at the time of the request.

Struts current "production-quality" code-base is 1.2.4.  Using the
EL-tags are more of a convenience than a "right way" to do things.
They can be indespensible for removing run-time expressions from your
pages though, since they allow EL-expressions for attribute values.

For your javadoc concerns ... you should have a
struts-documentation.war file that came with your distribution (look
under webapps).  You should be able to extract the api docs from
there.  You might want to jar them up - been a while since I used
NetBeans, so I don't recall.

NetBeans knows about the tag attributes because of the TLD files.  You
can get better descriptions of the tags' attributes from the
struts-documentation.war app (you might just install it in your
container so you'll have it for reference).

Good Luck!

--
Eddie Bush