I upgraded to Struts 1.2 and that fixed the problem, thanks.

...  I'm now gettting a new problem though - the Struts Validator does
not appear to be called anymore, and it also has problems finding the
properties file:

ApplicationDispatcher[/Web_Module]: Servlet.service() for servlet
debugjsp threw exception
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: ServletException in
'/WEB-INF/pages/public/login.jsp': Cannot find message resources under
key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:921)

Any ideas?!