3. load the menu options one time from the database and place in the
application scope.  While this is the best memory option (and probably
the most efficient for speed), I'm not sure how I would reload this
after a change was made to the underlying database (or even detect
that a change was made).

How often do the menu options change in practice? You might find that they never actually change in your production environment, in which case just shoving them in application scope is often sufficient.

For the design pattern in general, you could consider using Tiles and a Tiles controller, rather than using a base action class. This would give you greater separation of concerns: loading (possibly cached) menu items is handled specifically by the tile that displays the menu, rather than by each individual action.

-- Bill
--
Bill Schneider
Chief Architect