I didn't mean "better than either one". I meant "better than building your own ActionForm by hand", and thus better than using Dyna form.

Erik

Erik Weber wrote:

Wouldn't a parser handler that could build an ActionForm skeleton during a parse of a form JSP be better than either one?

Erik

Hubert Rabago wrote:

I really would not give too much weight to the blog you linked to. If
you've read the comments of the readers, you'd see that some of his
arguments aren't really that strong, and some are even totally
incorrect.

Personally, I use DynaActionForm for each form that it can support. Once I have a form with needs that a DynaActionForm can't fulfill,
that's when I decide to use ActionForms. I've had apps where I had
more ActionForm subclasses than DynaActionForm, and this was due to
requirements that DynaActionForms simply couldn't handle. Still, my
first choice would be a DynaActionForm when possible. Pre 1.1, I've
had an app where it was form bean after form bean after form bean. I
got tired of it that for some forms, I just used plain HTML without
Struts tags/form beans. I don't want to go back to that again.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything since I haven't done any JSF yet, but
solely from my impressions of what I've read so far: I think the
concept of JSF's backing beans are different from Struts' ActionForms.
I think JSF's overall approach is different from Struts, that the
differences are greater than the similarities. Whether ActionForms or
DynaActionForms is more similar to JSF's backing beans shouldn't
affect your decision, since you're using Struts, not JSF. Applying
the models of one framework to another when their approaches and
principles, as well as their underlying support, are different, just
sounds dangerous.

As for compile time type information, well, Strings are Strings
whether you use one or the other.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=109767197521860&w=2

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:03:41 -0500, Benedict, Paul C