On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:14:36 -0500 (EST), Frank W. Zammetti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You mean as far as 1.x goes?  I'm just looking now to see how the config
> file is read in (haven't played with Digester at all yet).  But yes, just
> dropping the doctype was how I was going to, temporarily, get around any
> validation problems.  I figured either (a) what I do gets added to the
> core and the DTD gets updated at that point, or (b) people can use it as a
> contrib thing with the knowledge that they have to drop the doctype (or
> updated the DTD themselves and keep it local I suppose).

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.  For a while I got confused, because
Joe was talking about extending the DTD and going around validation,
when I thought you meant to look at contributing it to the core.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:23:44 -0600, Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I haven't done anything about it yet, but I've kind of been expecting
> to add a similar kind of configuration value to forward elements.  It
> is probably the most straightforward way to plug-in the kind of
> page-prep behavior that I've hacked in to other apps.

And I've been silently wishing you'd add it, too. :)
We've had discussions about this maybe twice before, and another time
I lit the flame, you responded, but I wasn't able to follow through
with the discussion.

The first exchange on this I participated in, Joe brought up the idea
of having renderers/controllers tied to forms, and my concern was
having multiple forms needed for a single forward.  Here's a busy
config idea I came to based on those discussions:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-dev&m=107915555806471&w=2
(Looking at that date, this was almost a full year ago.)

Taking into consideration Chain and ActionContext, these could be
implemented with commands specifically written for these purposes
without having to implement another interface.  A POJO leaning would
require the "method" parameter that Frank has.  I think either of
these are preferrable to having a PageController or Renderer
superclass/interface that earlier threads mentioned, but it might be
helpful to review those messages as there were some ideas and
considerations mentioned there.

Hubert

(I'm guessing further discussion on details can/should move to the dev list)