At 11:05 PM -0500 3/17/05, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
Well, I could certainly be wrong, but based on what others have said related to this matter, my understanding is that you can define a Chain in the chain-config file and then reference that chain on an Action mapping so that in essence you execute a Chain instead of an Action if you want.

Can someone tell me for sure whether I have an incorrect understanding or not? And let me just say that if I am in fact incorrect, wouldn't THAT be exactly what SHOULD be possible in 1.3? To me, being able to alter the basic request processing pipeline is cool (my Struts Web Services project becomes very easy then), but the thing I really saw as interesting down the road was being able to create a Chain and have it execute where I would only have a single Action in "classic" Struts.

Frank, you have a correct understanding. Jack's point (dare I attempt to paraphrase?) is that if there is a feature or strategy which many different users of the framework repeatedly have to code local solutions, then it makes sense to consider implementing the best of those solutions into the framework.

In this specific case, my concern is that specifics of Jack's implementation seem unique to his coding approach in a way which would be inappropriate to integrate directly into the core. If only a few other people would speak up in favor of the same features (and implementations), it would be easier to decide to add those features. In a case like this, publishing code and encouraging people to try it out locally is a good route to that, and I think that some of the features in Struts 1.3 make it easier to publish something for people to use as an alternative to try out while an idea builds up the wider interest that makes it a clear candidate for addition to the core.

I don't know if we've all landed on most people's kill-filters or what, but one gets the sense that what some of us are interested in arguing thoroughly about is of little import to regular users.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex