On Fri, March 18, 2005 6:53 am, Joe Germuska said:
> Frank, you have a correct understanding.

Well, even a blind cat finds the litter box every now and again :)  Good
to know I got it!

> In this specific case, my concern is that specifics of Jack's
> implementation seem unique to his coding approach in a way which
> would be inappropriate to integrate directly into the core.

I would agree because even though I agree with Jack on the need for a
standard solution (be it a change to the core or just a recommended
pattern), I'm not sure which solution I would be in favor of overall.

But, as has been said, 1.3 solves this problem (and in a way that is
satisfactory to me, mostly), and that being the case, coupled with the
stated fact that 1.2 won't have new features added, would seem to indicate
that discussing anything other than patterns to this problem (or offering
optional extensions to the core as I've done) is really the only choice.

> If only
> a few other people would speak up in favor of the same features (and
> implementations), it would be easier to decide to add those features.
> In a case like this, publishing code and encouraging people to try it
> out locally is a good route to that, and I think that some of the
> features in Struts 1.3 make it easier to publish something for people
> to use as an alternative to try out while an idea builds up the wider
> interest that makes it a clear candidate for addition to the core.

These comments kind of dovetail in to something...

We're at a very ackward time as far as Struts goes I think... 1.3 is
coming, probably not too far off, but not here yet.  My suspicion is that
not very many people outside the development team (and those around them
in their day jobs I imagine) are using it.  Certainly I haven't seem
indications of many outside the team playing with it yet.

With the end of development of the 1.2 versions, that means all the ideas
being tossed around should be going into the 1.3 version, but not everyone
(and I believe not many) are willing to do that yet.  So, a lot of ideas
aren't getting the full shakedown they should.  I also think this is why
we're seeing more discussion than actual implementation lately: people
just don't know or aren't quite ready to play with 1.3, and there is no
incentive to do anything with 1.2, so nothing happens besides talk.

Just a commentary, and maybe my observations are flawed to being with.
Certainly I offer no solution to any of this even if I'm right :)

> I don't know if we've all landed on most people's kill-filters or
> what, but one gets the sense that what some of us are interested in
> arguing thoroughly about is of little import to regular users.

I'm not so sure I'd draw that conclusion based on no comment from other
than a few of us, but, it's pretty hard to get anything done without
sigificant backing, so it might be the right conclusion by default :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect