----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 4:34 PM

> Good question about what happens with setupItems when validation fails...
> I didn't think of that situation when I did it... Looking at the code,
> NONE of the setupItems would be executed when a validation failure occurs.
>  I could move the code that does the mapping-level items up before the
> validation is called and that would allow those to fire regardless.  In
> fact, I think that would be the only real answer because obviously the
> forward-level items wouldn't come in to play when a validation failure
> occurs. Good point for sure though. :)

If you changed your RequestProcessor to call processSetupsPerform(request,
forward) from the processForwardConfig() method rather than from the process
method() - then Struts could be configured to use an "input forward" for
error processing and the setupitems would get done.

So in the struts-config you would have....

<controller inputForward="true"/>

<action path="/something" type="..." validate="true" input="errorForward">
    <forward name="successForward" path="/result.jsp">
        <setupItem setupClass="...." setupMethod="...." />
    </forward>
    <forward name="errorForward" path="/input.jsp">
        <setupItem setupClass="...." setupMethod="...." />
    </forward>
</action>

Niall