On Fri, March 18, 2005 11:46 am, Rick Reumann said:
> Frank W. Zammetti wrote the following on 3/18/2005 11:34 AM:
>
>> At one point in time, and it might still stand, I don't
>> know, I had the record in the Army for typing speed.  I'm pretty quick
>> :)
>
> I'll have to start calling you Radar:) Although I think he was probably
> a pretty slow typist (faster than Klinger though I'm sure).

I like the teddy bear :)  Especially now that you can get those ones with
the micro-bead thingies that are soft as hell.  They rule!

It's actually a funny story the day I set the record (76 WPM by the way...
may not sound that high, but consider it was on an old teletype machine...
I've broken 100 on numerous typing test programs throughout the years on a
regular PC keyboard, some ridiculously high to the point where I believe
the program had to be flawed!)...

Being the Army, the seargents there were always busting our chops for
random, senseless reasons.  WHILE I WAS TYPING trying to set that record
(and I don't know that this was any kind of official thing by the way, but
the seargents seemed to keep track of it over the years) they were
absolutely KILLING me because even to this day, I do not type with
anything approaching a proper technique.  They couldn't believe I could
type AT ALL let alone as fast as I was.  It's just years of typing (since
I was about 7 as I recall) and just making up my own style.  I don't think
I should repeat most of the taunts they were using that day, but suffice
it to say it's amazing I got THAT high :)

What's more enjoyable now though than typing fast is the fact that, while
I don't have remotely proper technique, I can in fact touch-type rather
well.  This annoys my wife to no end... she comes in to my home office,
I'm hacking away at some code and she'll start talking to me... rather
than stop what I'm doing I'll just continue typing, looking off to the
side at her because of course I'd get yelled at if I didn't look at her
while she was talking, but then she yells at me anyway because I'm "being
a wise-ass" and coding while she's talking to me and not even looking at
the keyboard! (she's not a bad typist herself, probably in the 30-40 WPM
range, but she can't touch-type at all).

(perhaps at this point this thread should be marked with a double OT!)

> Rick

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies