In the interest of giving back, here's what I wound up doing:

import java.net.InetAddress;
import java.rmi.dgc.VMID;
import java.util.GregorianCalendar;
int vmidHash = new VMID().hashCode();
long currentTime = new GregorianCalendar().getTimeInMillis();
int ipHash = InetAddress.getLocalHost().hashCode();
long seed = vmidHash + currentTime + ipHash;
Random randomGenerator = new Random(seed);
int seconds = randomGenerator.nextInt(200) + 100;

It's a combination of the VMID (which is supposed ot be unique for each
VM, but in actuality even on the SAME machine I'm getting a different
value each time, which is better for my use case) plus the current time
plus the machine's IP address.  Even on the same machine this is
generating unique values for each of three threads I am spawning (I've
done it about 30 times now and have never seen a duplicate value).  Does
the trick, I am happy.  Thanks for all the insight everyone!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect