As far as drop-downs, I typically populate all (or most) of mine from a database at application startup using a ServletListener. I stuff these into the application scope as Lists of LabelValue beans. Then I code up a ReloadAction that can call my Listener to reload them all. I've found this useful so I don't have to restart the app if data changes. If I have edit screens for the drop-downs, I'll replace the List in application scope after saving.

Matt