Simon Chappell wrote:

Back when I was a young programmer we used to have to think. THINK!

Ah, a man after my own heart.

In those days, if we wanted the computer to do _anything_, we generally had to write it ourselves, and nobody had ever done it before, so we couldn't even cheat. And like you say, we were not blessed with an abundance of memory (although I had a luxurious 4K, giving me 3K of bloat over you ;)

When was the last time you had to worry about memory efficiency?
I actually still get to worry sometimes, as I work from time to time with small embedded systems, but even those are pretty extreme compared to stuff I was programming on even ten years ago. The game machine I programmed on rarely had more than 16K, into which we would cram (limited) AI, sound, voice, and graphics.

We can only hope. Perhaps the prophesied return of Lisp will finally
happen and people will discover REAL programming, not this Teach
Yourself The Latest Junk in 24 Hours stuff.
Mmmm, Creamy Lisp Goodness.

One major problem lies with how programmers are educated today. A lot of schools teach a language or a design philosophy but rarely are in-depth enough to actually breed the abstract skills necessary for the programmer to become useful. It's a shame, really. I went to college in 1986 (and had been programming since 1978) and within a few years of my graduation in 1990 the curriculum at most schools had been watered down to the point of near uselessness.

Dave