Aehm, this is not quite true.

If you look in the generated jsp you will see a bunch of lines like this:
    _jsp_string14 = "\r\n       ".toCharArray();
(this is for resin users, in tomcat jsps it will be somewhere in the code
with write())

The jsp compiler usually handles all whitespaces before and after a tag as
html code. This means, that
if your IDE fills out idents with spaces, you have about 10% additional
garbage in a tag heavy page.

I've seen pages with 10K garbage, even with zip-on it's still waste of cpu
and bandwith.

Regards
Leon