What I would do is, create an index.html, and inside of that index.html, do
redirect to a struts action...
For example:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
      CONTENT="0; URL=firstAction.do">

Then, in your struts, the action mapped through firstAction.do can load up
the session with your TAX info...
Another way would be to create a Filter class, which will get called every
time, and if a session object inside of its
chain method is empty (null), then, "it knows" that it is being called the
first time, and then the Filter class would
create the session object, and put a value TAX inside of it...

Cheers, Alex.