Well put. To expand on #2, it's good to confine dependencies on the org.apache.struts packages to the presentation layer, and not build a Struts dependency into business logic.

Personally I prefer to keep form beans and value objects seperate, for two key reasons:

1) form beans generally should consist of String data to facilitate round-tripping of invalid inputs. I like to constrain them to a clearly defined role of marshaling data 'into' and 'out of' the presentation layer, i.e. across the boundary between presentation and application.

2) value objects should use typed interfaces to ensure marshaling to and from presentation format (string types) is pushed as far up the application stack as possible. This also enables other, potentially type-aware, presentation / client tiers to be built on top of the same value objects (e.g. for a web-services interface).

--
Bill Schneider
Chief Architect

Vecna Technologies