Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:54 PM
Subject: [OT] olipmic rings metaphor

Ted Husted wrote:

In my own work, I tend to think of an enterprise-grade application as
a set of overlapping rings, like the Olympics logo.

* http://www.olympic.org/

In the Blue ring live the view members, like custom tags or UI
components, and the HTTP request and response objects. This is the
layer where our appliction interacts with the rest of the world.

Some of the Blue ring members also interact with the presentation
controller components that live in the Gold ring, like the  Struts
Actions, ActionForms, and JSF backing beans. This is the layer that
"interprets user gestures" to decide which view to display next, and
may also convert or format data as needed.

In turn, Gold ring components interact with your own business objects,
which live in the Black ring. The business compnents could also be
chains of commands, representing services, rather than conventional
object representing domain entities. This layer often acts as a
"liaison" between the view-centric Blue and Gold rings, and the
data-centric Green and Red rings.

To be useful, most business objects need to access persistent data.
Rather than talk to the native database API, most of us use data
access objects, that live in the Green ring. Here we find components
like iBATIS or Hibernate, JDO, or just plain JDBC. This layer links
specific business methods to general-purpose persistence methods.

Finally, in the Red ring, we find our dragon -- the physical database.
In some applications, the database is a deep crimson that represents
our solution to the domain's problems. Other times, the domain logic
lives in the black ring, and the red ring is a pale pink shoebox.

In some applications, the rings are separated by framework or package
lines, like Struts and iBATIS. In other applications, the rings may
exist as separate classes in the same package, or even different
methods on the same class. But, eventually, in my experience, any
long-lived, well-factored application will find itself using all five
rings, or all five separations of concern, in one way or the other.

Of course, in a conventional MVC application, the Black and Blue rings
intersect, forming a triad, and the Green and Red rings are not
described. Though, I expect, the other rings did still exist, but were
simply hidden behind the event horizon of MVC's Black ring.

-Ted.

Hi Ted,

How do you classify Security and Authorization issues in this metaphor?

In my current project I have troubles since code that is related somehow
to Authorization is spread over all "rings. Still it's difficult to me
to have a clear understanding how to implement in a nice, consistent
way. I'll appreciate any suggestions or recommendations about this problem.

Regards
Borislav