We use the cron approach as well.  Using a simple mechanism and having
separate JVMs has proven very good for maintenance, etc.

Dave

             Larry Meadors
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       Struts Users Mailing List
             07/13/2005 11:49          <user@struts.apache.org>, Richard
             PM                        Reyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                                        cc

               "Struts Users           Re: [OT] Java as a Daemon
               Mailing List"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  he.org>

I would probably go the route of the .sh file.

At the risk of starting a big flame war, cron is solid as a rock, and
all of the memory used by your app will be freed up when the JVM
exits. Why make it more complex by adding quartz or tomcat to the mix
if you do not have to.

Simple is *almost* always better.

Larry