Mike Elliott wrote the following on 7/18/2005 10:55 AM:

I've been beating my head against this all weekend to no avail.  I
understand how to do this in session scope, but don't know if it's
even possible in request scope.

As I understand things (which may be wrong), when the form is
submitted (in request scope) a new form bean is created and populated
with the values in the collection from the HTML form.  But, of course,
a newly created form won't know how many elements are in the form so
it can't pre-populate the collection with beans to be filled in. Right?

I'm still not totally clear where the problem is, since I'm not sure what Session has to do with the initial setup of the form. It might help if you let us know what the exact problem is when using request scope...

1) A problem when you submit the form and getting 'index' problems showing up in the logs?

2) Is it making sure the nested structure is still there when validation fails?

I'm confused because you mention "But, of course, a newly created form won't know how many elements are in the form so it can't pre-populate the collection with beans to be filled in." This statement confused me because you seem to be implying it works when it's in Session which doesn't make sense since even with a Session scoped form you still need to some initial population somewhere.

Typically I feel you should always go to some sort of "setUp" action or dispatch method BEFORE you ever forward to a form. Initially you can often skip this step but later on there will be something you want to 'do' before you get to the form anyway so I find it good practice to go to a 'set up' first.

For the two problems listed above the link Naill posted is good http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsCatalogLazyList (and I just recently added to that link the way I like to do it).

Let us know if you can't get it to work. I have to use Nested stuff all the time, so I'll be able to help.

--
Rick