From: Michael Rasmussen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:50 AM
To: Maya menon; Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Hi-New to this group

Maya,
  See inline

On 7/20/05, Maya menon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Yes: in our web app, in the jsp, there will be a button/checkbox which the
> users can click to let the system know about the status of their work.
Now,
> when they click it, it can directly update the database. [rather than
that,
> i dont know..]
>
> I was not thinking about using entity beans at all. I was thinking about
> using session beans as facade and all database activities being performed
> inside DAOs [select,update etc]

That is probably wise.  Hibernate (http://hibernate.org) which was
mentioned earlier is a good mix of POJO and persistence framework, but
for 500 users you are probably small enough that DAO/JDBC will be
fine.  Especially if you don't need any transactional support.

> You talked about command pattern. where will a command patterm come when
> used with struts ? sorry, i dont know hence i asked.

For an explanation of the command pattern see the GOF Command Pattern or
here
http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/PatternCommand.aspx, (first result in
Google)

Basically your action would delegate to the command and pass it a
context (Populated by your form data).  All the commands implement the
command interface (with the execute(Context) method).  The command
could then delegate to other worker commands that do database work or
send emails or other generic tasks.  Then the action works like all
actions do and takes what is in the context and puts it in the right
scope and forwards on to the JSP.  The commands can be broken up
(similar to session beans) to do small units of work.  If you use a
factory to get your commands the factory can be configured to return
different instances of the command based on user roles and so on.

> Struts action classes -> ? -> ? - DAO.

Struts action classes -> command -> command - DAO.

Michael