I presume preserving URLs is the reason to map one technology's default extention to another. For example, if you have a static web site with files than end in .html, and switch to Java/Struts, then you can map *.html to the Struts' action servlet.

The end users' bookmarks don't have to change, but you're really running a Struts action under the covers.

Stéphane Zuckerman wrote:
John Henry Xu a écrit :

Actually, my favorite sites are the

ones that map "*.asp" to the Struts servlet. Gotta love people that
bend minds like that!

I cannot imagine what motivates people tried to map there servlets to
.asp. Even I could easily map my site to .aspx, I would not do that.
Although I respect MS, I am not really a huge fun of Microsoft. If I
implement sites with Java, I want java take credits. If I implement sites
in PHP, I want PHP take credits, I would not map that to .asp. If I use
.net, I don't map it to jsp also.  If I saw a site ends with .php or
.aspx, I assume that was a php and .net site, and I belieave I am right
on that with 99% confidence.

I guess this is against wannabe crackers. Yes, yes, I know, security
through obscurity, blah blah blah... Well, once you've done everything
that isn't obfuscation-related, there is only obscurity that remains,
and frankly, it does help gain a few {minutes,hours} before the nasty
black hats break the server. :-)

--
Neil Erdwien, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Web Technologies Manager
Computing and Network Services, Kansas State University