From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 10:24 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: [OT] What to choose: Struts, JSF, Shale or
Spring

So is anybody using struts-faces and trying to integrate struts with
jsf?
Or is that project kind of abandoned now..?

Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
08/05/2005 12:18 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
{Spam?} Re: [OT] What to choose: Struts, JSF, Shale or Spring

On 8/5/05, David Thielen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Ok, that brings up this question. If we are creating a portlet and it
has to
> run on every portal, is Shale+JSF as easy to install and portable as
just
> JSF?

Not yet ... but that's a definite goal.  There are still some spots
where the code is specific to the servlet API which need to be shaken
out, but I plan to do that *after* a 1.0.0 milestone release.

> We're willing to live with more pain during development to make the
> final product as easy as possible to install and totally portable.

Part of the challenge here is that the JSF 1.0 spec doesn't go quite
all the way towards seamless portability across JSR-168 compliant
environments.  I've used the jsf-portlet bridge code that is available
in the JSF RI's java.net project with good success, but primarily with
Sun's tools (and pluto).  And the MyFaces integration with portlets is
"similar but different", so it'll take a bit of work at the framework
level to settle all this out.

> And same question on Spring?

Spring integration is a breeze ... and is a feature I didn't mention.
If you include Spring in your app, Shale has an adapter that makes the
managed beans facility automatically use Spring's bean factory if
there is no managed beans definition, so you can use Spring to create
and configure all your instances (if you like).  And you can use
standard JSF value binding and method binding expressions to trigger
creation of Spring beans, too.

> Thanks - dave

Craig

believed to be clean.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This email is intended solely for the person or
protected health information.  Any duplication, dissemination, action
taken in reliance upon, or other use of this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may violate

applicable laws.  If this email has been received in error, please
notify
the sender and delete the information from your system.  The views
expressed in this email are those of the sender and may not necessarily
represent the views of IntelliCare.