From: peru cheppanu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 12:42 PM
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: core struts -- best practise fundementals

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the motivation behind seperation of logic and
presentation in struts framework. I was wondering if any of you can
provide some light if I am thinking in right direction.

Now, if you write scriptlets in JSP, that is a bad practice.., however
if you hide that functionality in a tag class and implement that tag
like struts tags or any other tags.. thats a good practice.

For example, I want to send a concatenated string instead of a hashmap
to display as per key-value relationship. I meant send "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
string rather than a hashmap and want to parse it for display. If I
write a
scriptlet that I use to substring and display only that user is
concerned with -- that is bad practice. If I use a tag lib that looks
more
like
<logic:substring name="hashArr" digits="4">, --> good.

Am I getting this whole thing wrong? Pls excuse if I sound too stupid
and this is my first post here..

--Ashrita