Seriously consider SVN, too if possible. From what I am hearing, all
Apache projects will be on SVN within the next year.

CVS is getting a bit "long in the tooth" but works well for everything
i have ever needed.

VSS is IMO a waste of digital storage that could have been better used
for something like AOL CDs. :-D

I looked at Perforce recently, but could not make the case for the $$$
over CVS. No added features (beyond VS.NET integration).

Larry