You could try using a Filter. I'm sure there are many tutorials and examples
out there. Here is an example:

Web.xml
        <filter>
                <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
                <filter-class>com.wss.util.MyFilter</filter-class>
                <description>Some description.
                </description>
        </filter>

        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/do/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

MyFilter.java

public class MyFilter implements Filter {
        private ServletContext context;
        private String filterName;

        public void init(FilterConfig config) throws ServletException {
                this.context = config.getServletContext();
                this.filterName = config.getFilterName();
        }

        public void doFilter(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res,
FilterChain chain)
                                  throws IOException, ServletException {
                HttpServletRequest request = (HttpServletRequest) req;
                HttpServletResponse response = (HttpServletResponse) res;

                // Add preprocessing code here. Maybe you could do a
request.setAttribute() and then
                // use the value in your Action. You have full access to
everything in the request,
                // so you could iterate through the request params and do
your checking.

                chain.doFilter(request, response);

                // Add code here if we want to do something after the
request has been
                // processed in chain.doFilter().
        }

        public void destroy() {