What I recomend is SyncBack - it's free but it's not open source.
<quote>

SyncBack is our freeware program that helps you easily backup and
synchronise your files to: the same drive; a different drive or medium
(CDRW, CompactFlash, etc); an FTP server; a Network; or a Zip archive.

</quote>

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Regards
Ovidiu