+1 For a whiteboard, but how inferior do I feel next to Frank. Were not
worthy...

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 October 2005 05:25
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: database design

I think the smartest thing I ever did was this...

I have an office at home... just one of the bedrooms that is my
sanctuary of geekdom... about 6 months ago we were walking through Home
Depot... no, sorry, Lowes... we were looking for some sort of paneling
to spruce the place up a bit.

What I found is a panel that is made out of whiteboard material.  So,
picture an entire 15'x16' room (is ' or " feet?  I never remember!)
where every single wall is whiteboard, floor to ceiling.

*THIS* has become *THE* way I do most of my design work.  It's great...
any time I have an idea I simply find a blank area of wall and have at
it!  I put in a chair rail around the entire room and I keep various
colored markers on it.

My only problem is keeping the kids from scribbling all over my work :)

I don't have this at work (yet... talking to the building manager!) but
I still find a giant whiteboard to be the best for database design, or
any other kind of design work.  Once I have a fairly solid idea where
everything is going, I usually break out Visio.  As a general-purpose
diagramming tool I find it to be second to none.  I can create just
about any UML diagram, flowchart or whatever else in it.  True, I can't
spit code out of it, but I don't generally like letting tools write my
code for me anyway.

But, forget all that... go buy that paneling and pick a room! :)

Frank

Graham Reeds wrote:
> Rafael Taboada wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. When u design a database... What soft do u use?? What's the
>> best??
>>  I use Embarcadero E/R... Is there any program better than embarcadero?
>>
>> --
>> Rafael Taboada
>> Software Engineer
>>
>> Cell : +511-97753290
>>
>> "No creo en el destino pues no me gusta tener la idea de controlar mi
>> vida"
>>

> I use pen, paper, and brain power:-)
>
> When the first round of requirements discussions are complete I then use
> SQLyog (http://www.webyog.com/), MySQL Query Browser and MySQL
> Workbench.  DBDesigner 4 was the old MySQL Workbench which is getting
> rewritten from the ground up.  Haven't installed DBDesigner 4 before
> since Workbench just about works for me (at least to visualise and check
> I haven't missed any foreign keys).
>
> There is a Windoze and Mac OSX version of Workbench but no Linux yet.
>
> G.

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies