It was a good idea to put the user logging check in the BaseAction class.
This will be used as a firewall before allowing to access any resource
(Action class). The required code for User Information check can be put in
the execute method and another method like delegateToExecute(..) can be
made abstract and this method can be called as the last statement in
BaseAction's execute method. if the check is successful, the control goes
to the delegateToExecute(..) method for the requested class where you can
put ypur regular code. Since delegateToExecute(..)  will be made abstract,
that needs to be implemented in all teh actions which import the
BaseAction.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar Cherukuri

Please respond to

user@struts.apache.org
cc

Subject
Base action class

Hello,

I am trying to use a BaseAction class for my action, and i have been
wondering what to put in there;

As for now, i have put the basic stuff there like finding a forward for
a database faillure and so on..
(like in the mailreader example by the way). Also, i have put a method
that retrieves a handler from
the servlet context that all actions need. Is this a good idea?

I wonder whether it's a good idea to do authorization in the base class
by implementing an abstract
execute method that will check whether a user is logged in.. All action
classes then will first call
this abstract execute method.

What do you put in base classes?
Thanks