I have to make some educated guesses here, because I don't know the full
Struts lineage at that early stage (didn't start using it until 1.1)...

The message your seeing is because the forward configs are frozen once
they are read in.  Recall that, like Actions, there is one instance for
any given forward config and this is shared by all requests.  If you could
alter them in one request, you could adversely affect another.

My *guess* is that the configuration freezing was added after 1.0.2.  I
don't know that for sure though.  In any case, it is certainly the case in
1.2.7.

The way to deal with this is to return an ActionRedirect from your Action
instead.  One of the constructors for that class takes in a ForwardConfig,
so what you can do is:

ForwardConfig f = new ActionRedirect(mapping.findForward("whatever"));
f.setRedirect(true);
return f;

Alternatively, you could just have new mappings in struts-config that are
defined as redirects, so you could just remove that setRedirect() call
entirely.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect