I have not worked with iBATIS... and the intention was not to compare
hibernate vs. iBATIS .... The recommendation I was making was to use
Hibernate instead of raw JDBC calls embedded in your code.

And surely ... designing your database the "hibernate way" brings in some
constraints which I think is OK if you are starting something fresh... and
as Larry pointed out may or may not be worth a re-engineering effort.

~raghu