Well, I'm not sure what to make of this one.  The RI doesn't throw and
exception when a managed bean is not found, just returns a null object.

        // Retrieve an existing instance, or one created and configured by
        // the managed bean facility
        ValueBinding vb =
            context.getApplication().createValueBinding("#{" + viewName + "}");
        ViewController vc = null;
        try {
            Object vcObject = vb.getValue(context);
            if (vcObject == null) {
                log.warn(messages.getMessage("view.noViewController",
                                             new Object[] { viewId, viewName
}));
                return;
            }
            vc = (ViewController) vcObject;
        } catch (ClassCastException e) {
            log.warn(messages.getMessage("view.notViewController",
                                         new Object[] { viewId, viewName }));
            return;
        }

I think this is new behavior.  What version of myfaces are you using?  I'll
include Sean in this thread to see if he as any insights.

Gary

From: Mikael Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Gary VanMatre comcast.net> writes:
>
> [snippet]
> >
> > Make sure that you don't have any expression like #{ managed-bean-name}
> bound to
> > a control. If you are using the " managed-bean-name" symbol, make sure
> it's registered
> > in the faces-config.xml.
> >
> > If you have a more specific exception, HTML/XML config I might be of more
> help.

> > > I really appreciate all your help, I'm a beginner when it comes to web
> > > frameworks and have been trying to learn it by myself.
> > > It feels good to be able to get some help :)
> > >

> > Don't feel alone, we've all been there one time or another.
> >
> > > Thanks, Mikael
> > >

> > Gary
>
> I'm posting some more information:
> using myfaces 1.1.1
> faces-config.xml doesn't contain a managed bean.
>
> test.xml :
>
> > "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Shale Clay View Configuration 1.0//EN"
> "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/shale-clay-config_1_0.dtd";>
>

> baseLayout definition from clay-config.xml :

> pages/test.html :

Hello

> layout/layout.html:
>

> [ removed css stuff ]