On 1/18/06, Gary Feidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
> last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
> logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
> good books, or web sites?  All the standard question to get started.

Using JSTL instead of Struts tags makes sense because:
* JSTL is a standard, while having similar functionality
* JSTL does not depend on Struts, so you can preserve your pages if
you decide to switch from Struts to something else
* Imho JSTL have less idiosyncrasies than Struts tags.

One thing to remember is that Struts html tags create proper element
name with dots, brackets and stuff, so it can be processed on input,
and your nested objects can be populated. JSTL does not do that, which
is the suckiest part of it. It allows you only to display, but not to
input. To do input, you are on your own, you have to generate proper
element names and use BeanUtils or something similar to populate your
objects.

Michael.