On Fri, January 27, 2006 4:30 am, David Delbecq said:
> Hello,
>
> I think i read (probably on tomcat mailing list), that clustering should
> ensure (in specs) that a session is not spread across cluster (once
> session
> is started, user always speak with same jvm which started the session).

That's interesting... anyone know for sure if that is ensured by the spec?
 I could see a vendor saying they will ensure it, but I'm not certain if
the spec ensures it.

However, consider failover scenarios... in that case, you would absolutely
want the session to have been replicated, otherwise it wouldn't work.  For
this reason, I'm not sure if the spec would want to say something that was
contrary to that.  Also, simple load balancing (in the absence of hardware
load balancing) would run contrary to the spec.

But the bottom-line is I don't know if the spec ensures it or not...
anyone else?

> But with performances issues, a simulation is a good idea to know if you
> might
> get affected or not!

That's an excellent point.  I've never honestly done such a simulation, I
always took IBM's advice and followed it... even if it turned out to not
be valid any more, I don't see where it'd be a bad thing anyway... I
remember years ago when using session *at all* was frowned upon (I was in
the MS world at the time).  This got me into the habit of writing my apps
to use very little session all the time, and it's never felt like a huge
constraint, and maybe it has saved me some headaches that I otherwise
might have had.  But I never actually verified through tests that the
advice was valid.

Frank