Struts 1.2.9 is compatible with Validator 1.3.0 (I have that deployed
in production) .

Validator 1.3.0 was primarily a bug fix for Validator 1.2.0 and was
going to be version 1.2.1 - but as there was a whole set of new
classes (which don't currently affect Struts because it doesn't use
them) other Commons developers wanted a more significant version
number change. From memory, one issue in Validator 1.2.0 caused
problems with compatibility with older validator DTD versions, so I
would defintely recommend 1.3.0, rather than 1.2.0.

The reason Struts 1.2.9 didn't ship with Validator 1.2.0 at the time
was because there was a new feature (variables in resource bundles) in
Validator 1.2.0 which Struts 1.2.9 didn't support. Struts 1.3.x does
support it and will ship with Validator 1.3.0

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ValidatorVersion120

Niall