Chris,

It sounds like you're trying to run the tests inside the container.  If
so, JUnit can't do that on it's own.  You can use Cactus to proxy from
the testrunner (outside the container) to the tests (inside the
container).

I've always found Cactus to be a bit of a PITA, however, and have
changed my testing strategy to avoid it.  My tests are split into three
groups:

 - POJO JUnit tests which test the java code and run very fast.  These
drive most of my development via TDD.
 - Tests that involve other systems, principally the database.  I
substitute a DAO factory that uses a local JDBC Connection instead of
getting a datasource from the container.  These tests check the
Persistence layer.  They're much slower than the ordinary JUnit tests
(particulary because they use DBUnit to set up test data), but they're
still faster and easier than in-container tests.
 - Acceptance or System tests that test the application as a whole,
running in the container, through the normal web interface (using
HttpUnit).  These don't have to test the edge conditions, because those
are tested in the other tests, above.

Hope that helps.

 - George
   http://www.idiacomputing.com/