The struts-examples webapp has a floatRange example and I just tried
it using Struts 1.2.9 and it worked fine (tests for the range -2.17 to
3.14)

What version of Struts and Commons Valdiator are you using?

Also try changing the minimum value to "0.01" - I think putting
additional leading zeros might mean it gets treated as hex.

Also did you mean "00,01" because it doesn't accept a "comma"
character - needs to be a "." for decimal points. From memory Struts
1.3 / Validator 1.3.0 has some localized versions that do accept ","
for coutries that use that as a decimal point - although not sure if
it includes float range.

Niall