selecting max... isn't a viable solution, because of other sessions as you say.
Assuming you're at least using Java, you might want to look at

java.sql.Statement.getGeneratedKeys()

Oracle database returns generated keys in the 'C' i/f, my memory's rusty for
JDBC but I know there is a way somewhere to get the key values in the same
statement, rather than have to execute another statement for 'curval'.
getGeneratedKeys() may be it.

HTH
Brett