Some folks may be as pig-headed as me or may need to use LazyDynaBeans as they are translating from struts1 to struts2. After fooling around, I figured it out but it is pretty clear to me this is not the way to go.
Below is a simple example.

public final class MyAction extends ActionSupport implements ModelDriven{

   private LazyDynaBean f = new LazyDynaBean();
   public String execute() throws Exception  {
String[] text_field = (String[])f.get("text_field"); //do something with the text_field that came from LazyDynaBean as a String array
              return SUCCESS;
   }
public Object getModel(){
       return f;

<s:form action="MyAction">
   <s:textfield name="map.text_field" />
   <s:submit />
</s:form>

<validators>
   <field name="map.text_field">
       <field-validator type="required">
           <message>Text Field is required.</message>
       </field-validator>
   </field>
</validators>

There were 2 things that bit me:
1. You have to get the field name from map.text field so that s:textfield can get it from the "map" on the valuestack and 2. The textfield seems to get a String[] rather than a String and I don't have any idea how to do it differently.

mas